Dear Stores That Require Consumers to Get Your Store Discount Cards:
I have a bone to pick with you and it all started because of events that took place yesterday. So yesterday, I went to Trader Joe’s for my weekly grocery shopping. After spending about an hour cruising through the aisles, it was now time to checkout. Ten minutes later, the cashier had rung me up. I then proceeded to rummage through my wallet to retrieve my Visa check card. But Sug, what does this have to do with our store discount cards? Wait. I’m getting there. Anyway, after spending 30 panicked seconds looking through my wallet
(and having people looking at me as if my card had been declined #paranoia), I realized I didn’t have my Visa check card* but I did have a slew of store discount cards. For the record, Trader Joe’s doesn’t have a store discount card, yet.
In comes this letter.
I’m not sure the science behind store discount cards BUT I would like to share with you all my personal science on why I think your cards (especially the free ones that give you NO perks like rewards and such) are
stupid as hell not what’s hot in the street via this top 10 list.
- I made the decision to shop at your store. Why come you gotta add an extra step during the check out process in order for me to get them grapes for 99 cents per pound? Shouldn’t me being in your store be enough for me to get the freaking discount?!
- JUST PUT THE ITEMS ON SALE WITH NO STRINGS…er um CARDS ATTACHED!
- I have more discount tags on my keys than I have actual keys.
- Word on the curb is, if I lose my discount card, someone can somehow figure out my name and address (assuming I used my correct demographics when I registered the card).
- Did you ever once consider the poor lil ol’ environment and how many of your store discount cards end up in land fields?
- If you MUST use a discount card, opt to go paperless…it is 2012!
- How much money do you guys spend per year on manufacturing those cards?
- The least you can do is offer me some type of frequent shopper reward incentive.
- So, you’re not going to give me the discount even if I left my card at home?
- You mean to tell me that I have to either ask another consumer to use their card OR get new one? That makes no sense. Nope.
You will not believe how many of these cards I have. #wallslides for the environment.
I know this letter will probably fall on deaf ears or blind eyes, but I just want you store discount card pushers to know that I am not pleased.
With plenty of #sideeye,
-Sugar, Owner of Many Discount Cards
*But Sug, what happened since you didn’t have your Visa Check card while in the store? Well, I had to go back home (well, actually I had my hubby meet me half way and bring me my wallet with my Visa check cards in it).
The wonderful and discount cardless folks over at Trader Joe’s put my entire shopping cart in the freezer until I returned. :D But Sug, why come you didn’t have the right wallet and who leaves home without they cash and stuff. First of all, I don’t like your tone. Second, I have a picture to explain what had happened.
See what had happened was, both of these were on my bed post. I grabbed the wrong one. Smh
That’s it. Thanks for listening.